August 11, 2011

Pepper by Shel Silverstein

I've recently bumped into a lot of things I used to love when I was younger. Among all the the silly rhyming poems and songs I was taught back then, this is probably the one I remember the most.

Always sprinkle pepper in your hair,
Always sprinkle pepper in your hair.
For then if you are kidnapped by a Wild Barbazzoop,
Who sells you to a Ragged Hag
who wants you for her soup,
She’ll pick you up and sniff you,
And then she’ll sneeze “Achooo,”
And say, “My tot, you’re much too hot,
I fear you’ll never do.”
And with a shout she’ll throw you out,
And you’ll run away from there,
And soon you will be safe at home a-sittin’ in your chair,
If you always, always, always,
Always, always, always, always,
Always, always sprinkle pepper in your hair.

***

Isn't it cute?

8 comments:

  1. really cute poem! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Jenny. Thanks for stopping by! :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. aww! that IS cute! I was always a fan of "the Giving Tree" by the same author. Isn't it great to reminisce about your childhood times? I do it all the time, but I guess it's because it hasn't been TOO long since I was actually a kid :)

    ♥flor

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know that one, Flor! Thanks, it's really beautiful :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's adorable! A great author. : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww! I love this! This is about the cutest thing I have read in a long time. Thanks so much for sharing!
    Aww I just can't get over it! This makes my heart happy.

    Megan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Megan! Thank you so much for the beautiful words :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love this. growing up i had Shel Silverstein's book, Where the Sidewalk Ends.
    it always held a special place in my heart.

    ♥elisabeth

    ReplyDelete

You know the drill. Please leave your message after the "beep". Beep!