May 23, 2012

a word on blogging (and blog jealousy)

i have always been a blog reader. and i really love blogs; i love everything about them. and some people... well, they're just so talented!

sometimes i wish i was a better blogger. i wish i could find enough time to just sit down and write. or maybe not - actually, i wish it would all come so freaking naturally to me that i wouldn't even have to find the time to update this blog more regularly. it would be just another daily routine like taking a bath or brushing your teeth.

the thing is i'm almost never completely satisfied with what i write. i guess i have always been so overly judgmental about my own work (and everyone else's work as well, but especially my own) that i end up discarding a whole lot of great ideas because they might not be good enough.

i am the only reason i haven't enjoyed blogging in a very long time.

if every time i had an idea for a post, i would just sit down and share it, i would probably be one of the most active bloggers in the blogosphere. during these past three months, i must have thought about a hundred million things to say. but i was always tired (blame it on the pregnancy!) and, to be honest, i didn't feel creative enough to even log in and start writing.

i have been comparing my non-existing blogging skills to those of the superb.loggers out there and it is so frustrating... i know i probably shouldn't do that, but it's pretty damn hard not to! talk about blog jealousy!

yet, i bumped into an amazing quote by ira glass this morning.

it made my day.


Ira Glass
“Nobody tells this to people who are beginners, I wish someone told me. All of us who do creative work, we get into it because we have good taste. But there is this gap. For the first couple years you make stuff, it’s just not that good. It’s trying to be good, it has potential, but it’s not. But your taste, the thing that got you into the game, is still killer. And your taste is why your work disappoints you. A lot of people never get past this phase, they quit. Most people I know who do interesting, creative work went through years of this. We know our work doesn’t have this special thing that we want it to have. We all go through this. And if you are just starting out or you are still in this phase, you gotta know its normal and the most important thing you can do is do a lot of work. Put yourself on a deadline so that every week you will finish one story. It is only by going through a volume of work that you will close that gap, and your work will be as good as your ambitions. And I took longer to figure out how to do this than anyone I’ve ever met. It’s gonna take a while. It’s normal to take a while. You’ve just gotta fight your way through.”
― Ira Glass

9 comments:

  1. I really love this quote. I came across it last year and it has fueled my ambition ever since! Don't blame yourself for what hasn't happened (I actually did that yesterday) but be happy that your back! I am! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much - you're too nice!
      he is totally right, isn't he? i mean.. how good can you be at something you do only every now and then? anyway, i guess i shouldn't be too quick to discard my own ideas..

      have a great day!

      Delete
  2. What a fantastic quote. I'd never heard it but now I'm glad I have. This post of yours really touched home with me because this is exactly how I've felt lately. I have a ton of ideas & things I want to write about but end up scrapping them because I think they're not 'good enough'. Truth is, nothings ever good enough for me but I have to remember that other people may find it funny or relate-able. I love your posts so just remember that whatever you put up, good or not, it's you & that's really what counts :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much, lin. it's awesome to get encouraging comments like yours!
      and you're totally right: it's me and that's really what counts.

      have a great day!

      Delete
  3. THIS IS AMAZING!

    I'm totally the same way...never satisfied with my work. But I just keep working at it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. maybe one day we will be unconditionally proud of our blogs... :P

      Delete
  4. Oh hon, I think we all, even the bloggers you have pictured in your head that are "better" or "amazing" they feel this way too. What I learned the hard way, because I've almost shut my blog down several times for this very reason--is that we ALL have our own unique space, we all have a calling from God, we all have something to offer. Sure, my blog might not have the best design, or the best photos, or amazing photos of myself, but that isn't what really glorifies God anyway. Giving yourself, and being who HE made you to be is what He wants, it's what WE want from you!!! As soon as I trusted that it's OK that I am not so and so, I felt calmer, and reassured that I am on this ride for GOD, not myself. I am here for Him and others, and that's my purpose. YOu will keep moving into your rhythm, more and more, and keep asking God and He will show you...thanks for sharing your beautiful self with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. what you said about superbloggers feeling this way too... it's probably true, isn't it?

      well, i thought about starting another blog from scratch so many times... but i've come to realize that i will never, ever be completely satisfied with it - and it's probably because a blog is an endless work in progress. one can't see where it ends, because there's no such thing as an end in this kind of project. i have such a hard time keeping focused and motivated lately...

      thank you so much of the encouragement, @ginanorma!!

      Delete
  5. Oh my goodness!! True words girl! I struggle with the same issue. I had a blog before and just gave up because I thought whats the point if I keep stressing and deleting my posts. I have given blogging another try and even though I keep putting myself down or doubt my writing I have kept pushing myself to post. Your writing is amazing and I love your blog design it so pretty :)

    Congratulations on your pregnancy and all the best with your pregnancy journey ahead.

    Thank you for writing this. Take care

    ReplyDelete

You know the drill. Please leave your message after the "beep". Beep!